Gimp in the Classroom

I love this tool! It’s free, it’s very much like another expensive tool out there called Photoshop (maybe you’ve heard of it ;0) and the students love learning how to use it! This was my first year to teach this tool to students and I was surprised that it took me 6 weeks to get through the projects I wanted to teach them. Surprised, not because it was complicated, but surprised because of how much the students wanted to learn more, make their pictures as perfect as possible and how creative they all were in their projects.

I was happy to talk about this tool and show off some of the work my students created in this unit by presenting a webinar for SimpleK12’s Teacher Learning Community. I wanted to share some more resources that I used in my classroom in case anyone needed them to get started. You’ll find, below, some student instructions, a screencast “how to” and some student work for inspiration. Thank you to the “techno geeks” for presenting your projects at TCEA a couple of years ago. You are the ones that inspired me to try GIMP with my students.

Let me know what you think of GIMP. How do you think it compares to Photoshop or Photoshop Elements? I would love to hear from you, and as always if you have any questions feel free to ask.

GIMP Cutout Name Instructions
Photo Manipulation Instructions
Link to screencast: How to do photo manipulation

oliviaGchandonolivia_sc_gimpnamecutout.simplek12.webinar

One thought on “Gimp in the Classroom

1. Have you used pixlr in your classes? I was planning on using it for my photo editing unit because there isn’t a download. I also wondered if you had any project ideas you could share with me. This is my first time teaching any photo editing in my computer apps class. Thanks for any help!!